- olive or canola oil spray
- 8 small wholemeal or wholegrain roll
- 500 g lean beef mince
- 1 red onion, peeled, roughly chopped (reserve half for coleslaw)
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, grated and squeezed of extra moisture
- 1 tbs worcestershire sauce
- pepper, to taste
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1/4 cabbage, shredded
- 1 red capsicum, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup low-fat Greek yoghurt
- 2 tbs low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tbs Dijon mustard
- 8 slices reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 450 g can beetroot, drained, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 6 pickled cucumbers or gherkins, sliced thinly lengthways
- 2 cups rocket or baby spinach, firmly packed
Details Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 15 mins
Cook: 15 mins
Variation: Replace beef mince with lean chicken mince or substitute a patty for halved skinless chicken breast or trimmed kangaroo steaks. Replace canned beetroot with 1 large raw beetroot, trimmed, peeled, coarsely grated. Add a slice of fresh pineapple, barbequed for 1 to 2 minutes each side until golden.
- Slice bread rolls closer to the base so that the top 2/3 will form a lid. Carefully remove some of the bread from inside of the roll lid, leaving the outside intact. Crumble removed bread to make ¾ cup of breadcrumbs and place in a medium sized bowl with mince, discard excess bread.
- Add half the onion to a medium-sized bowl along with parsley, Worcestershire sauce, mince and zucchini. Season with pepper and combine well using clean hands. Divide mince mixture into portions and shape each into round patties the same diameter as bread rolls.
- Spray a barbeque, chargrill or griddle with oil and heat on high. Cook for 4 minutes, turn patties over and top each with a slice of cheese, cook for a further 2 minutes or until cooked through.
- To make coleslaw dressing, mix together yoghurt, mayonnaise and mustard in a large bowl. Add remaining onion, carrot, cabbage and capsicum, combine well with dressing and set aside. Just before serving, toast both sides of buns in a toaster or on a grill. To assemble burger, place toppings onto the roll base and then add the coleslaw. Top with roll lid and serve immediately.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||2818 kJ||433 kJ|
|Protein||50 g||8 g|
|Fat, total||23 g||4 g|
|— saturated||10 g||2 g|
|Carbohydrate||58 g||9 g|
|— sugars||34 g||5 g|
|Sodium||1477 mg||227 mg|
|Fibre||14 g||2 g|