The Latrobe Valley Food Declaration
Food is an essential aspect of our daily lives. Our social practices, cultures and traditions often centre around food. Food also impacts our physical and mental wellbeing.
The Latrobe Valley Food Declaration is a shared statement outlining our vision for a strong local food system that is safe, secure, fair, sustainable and connected.
The Latrobe Valley Food Declaration aims to encourage action to strengthen our local food system and achieve better access to affordable, fresh and nutritious food for everyone in our community.
In working to achieve this purpose, we will encourage:
- Better access to affordable, fresh and nutritious food for everyone in our community;
- Local economic development through fresh food markets, agri-tourism and support for small crop farming
- Increased consumption of local, nutritious foods by our community.
- A local food system that supports the social and physical wellbeing of all
- Recognise that access to nutritious, affordable food without the need for
emergency food relief is a basic human right.
- Recognise the need to conserve local ecosystems, biodiversity and protect fertile agricultural lands.
- Local government policies should include strategies to support food
access. These policies may relate to; income, employment, housing, health and transport.
- Prioritise strategies and initiatives that promote food security and a sustainable food system.