‘Reach for the Stars’ is making it easier for customers to find healthy foods in the supermarket
Latrobe Community Health Service, Latrobe Health Assembly, participating Latrobe supermarkets and the community are working in partnership on the flagship Healthy Supermarkets project. ‘Reach for the Stars’ is making it easier for customers to find healthy foods in the supermarket.
‘Reach for the Stars’ promotes healthy eating to customers and the community.
‘Reach for the Stars’ aims to create a shopping experience that helps customers to buy, cook and eat healthy foods, every day.
It uses a range of interventions based on the Australian Dietary Guidelines and the Health Star Rating system.
- All fresh fruit and vegetables are 5 stars!
- Health Star Rating shelf tags on 4 ½ and 5 star rated products
- Healthy eating messages from Latrobe Stars
- Healthy recipes and more!
Why promote healthy eating in Latrobe?
Healthy eating is important day-to-day, for mood and energy levels, and long-term in decreasing the risk of chronic disease. We all need more fresh and healthy foods to be at our best every day.
Most of us try to eat healthy foods, but one in 4 Latrobe customers find it difficult to know if a product is healthy or not.
Why work with supermarkets?
Australians buy most of their food from the supermarkets. It’s where we make the choices about the foods we buy, and therefore what we eat.
What’s in it for participating supermarkets?
- Promoting fresh food sales
- Promoting healthy eating and healthy lifestyles
- Supporting customers and community
- Responding to customer demand for healthier products
- A point of difference to competitor supermarkets
- Promotion of the business’s involvement in the project.
What did customers say?
Reach for the Stars is based on the successful Eat Well @ IGA Bendigo project.
- 63% of customers who noticed the shelf tags felt they influenced what they purchased
- 88% of customers wanted the healthy eating signs left in place
This resulted in….
- 12% increase of the purchase of 4 ½ and 5 health star rated products
What did participating supermarkets say?
“The whole objective of the campaign was to…encourage people to eat healthier. But, it was also a win-win,…if we’re selling more of the 4 1/2, 5 star [Health Star Rating] type projects within our stores there’s potential of higher profit” IGA Executive.
Want to get involved?
Help us create a healthier Latrobe!
If your Latrobe supermarket wants to get involved, please contact the ‘Reach for the Stars’ project team on:
Ph: 1800 242 696