CALD Culturally Appropriate Food – Community Connector Project
- Work with the CALD community to develop and deliver capacity building activities including developing confidence and self-efficacy when using online food purchasing platforms, greater awareness of local outlets stocking preferred ingredients and promotion of local shopping behaviours.
- Distribute existing information in a range of languages to promote local access points for purchasing culturally appropriate food.
- Provide support to local food relief agencies.
- Build the capacity of community leaders.
- Educate and advocate to local businesses to better cater to the needs of our CALD community through greater awareness of preferred ingredients, and access to Halal food items.
Community Connectors public forum
Initial insights from community members with a wide range of backgrounds show that many communities travel extremely long distances to buy foods linked to their cultures or required for religious reasons.
Community member, Bosseda told us “I help my African community, I purchase bulk food from Dandenong, Springvale, Footscray and other places. Community members come to my place and collect it”.
The project research stage has identified Bosseda’s story is all too common.
On July 26, 2021, the Community Connector Project will be hosting a free virtual forum for Latrobe Valley based hospitality business and the wider community to come along and hear about the research and learn about ways you can help our CALD community feel more at home within our region.
If you can’t attend the session but would like to find out more or provide your own input into the research, please visit the above link, here you will find several ways you can get involved.
Date/time: 6.00pm, Monday 26 July, 2021
Please visit https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84233920443 at the time of the event.
RSVP: Please register using the form below.